Re: [Qemu-block] CDROM Eject behaviour

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] CDROM Eject behaviour
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 12:00:07 +0100

On 13/03/2015 11:46, Peter Lieven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just stumbled across an old ticket where a user complains that an ejected
> CD is visible again after a reset.
> It seems that the behaviour of qemu changed somewhen in the past (maybe years
> ago). I wonder
> which behaviour would be correct or better.
>
> If we eject a CD with the eject command via qmp or hmp we open the tray *AND*
> remove the media.
>
> If the OS ejects a CD we just open the tray. So if the ATAPI or SCSI CDROM is
> resetted the tray is closed
> and the CD is there again.

IIRC this is because of another installer behavior.  Some of them do the
following:

- ask to start media check

- at the end of media check, eject

- if you choose to do another media check, load again.

This is inconvenient on laptops, but it's worse on VMs.  For this
reason, so to speak, we emulate a "desktop" CD-ROM reader rather than a
"laptop" CD-ROM reader.

> Its like we should behave like a tray CDROM or a slot-in CDROM.
>
> A CD installer usually ejects the media after it has finished. Some ask to
> remove the media and press a key
> some not.
>
> Whats your opinion?

You can use "-boot c,once=d" to work around QEMU's behavior, if it's not
what the user likes.

Paolo