Re: [Qemu-block] CDROM Eject behaviour

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] CDROM Eject behaviour
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 12:02:22 -0400

On 03/13/2015 07:26 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

On 13/03/2015 12:18, Peter Lieven wrote:
This depends if we have a tray or slot in device. If you eject from a
slot in drive you can't load the media again. This is what Paolo
refers to as Desktop or Laptop CDROM.

BTW, you are supposed to tell the OS what kind of device you have.  MMC
describes the "Removable Medium" feature and a "Loading Mechanism" type
(Tables 98 and 99).

     000b Caddy/Slot type loading mechanism
     001b Tray type loading mechanism

and even more usable:

If the Load bit is set to zero, the Drive is unable to load the medium
or cartridge via the START STOP UNIT command with the LoEj bit set to
one, e.g. the tray type loading mechanism that is found in many portable
PCs.

If the Load bit is set to one, the Drive is able to load the medium or
cartridge.

scsi-cd sets the loading mechanism to "Tray" and the Load bit to one
("Desktop" type).  ide-cd doesn't, and it should.

So we can add a qdev property to choose between the two, but:

- first, ide-cd should learn about the Removable Medium feature

- the property should be reflected in the feature too

Paolo

I wonder how much common guest OSes respect this feature bit. Worth finding out.