Re: [Qemu-block] qemu exit with pending I/O

From: Peter Lieven
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] qemu exit with pending I/O
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:23:25 +0200

Am 27.04.2015 um 14:11 schrieb Paolo Bonzini:

On 27/04/2015 13:51, Peter Lieven wrote:
The reason to do this, is that while I/O is pending you do not know if
the I/O has been completed or not.
But if I consider a raw image, quitting without a clean shutdown can
also leave an inconsistent state?
But you know that all I/O submitted to disk has been handled.

The bdrv_drain_all() avoids that some leftover I/O mysteriously pops up
while another VM, or another instance of this VM, is using the image.
That's much worse.

Can this happen with a raw image used by a single VM?

Would it be an option to have a quit command with lets call it "noflush" flag?

I consider the case that my storage has died. In the iSCSI case all vServers
will
end up in the now async reconnect loop. In such a case I might need to
terminate the
vServers and want to restart them later from a backup. It would be interesting
to be able
to terminate the vServer with a command via hmp/qmp wihtout the need to send a
SIGKILL
from external.

Peter