Re: [Qemu-block] I/O accounting overhaul

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] I/O accounting overhaul
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 08:18:45 -0600

On 06/03/2015 07:40 AM, Alberto Garcia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to retake the work that BenoƮt was about to start last
> year and extend the I/O accounting in QEMU. I was reading the past
> discussions and I will try to summarize all the ideas.
>
> The current accounting code collects the following information:
>
>   typedef struct BlockAcctStats {
>       uint64_t nr_bytes[BLOCK_MAX_IOTYPE];
>       uint64_t nr_ops[BLOCK_MAX_IOTYPE];
>       uint64_t total_time_ns[BLOCK_MAX_IOTYPE];
>       uint64_t merged[BLOCK_MAX_IOTYPE];
>       uint64_t wr_highest_sector;
>   } BlockAcctStats;
>
> where the arrays hold information for read, write and flush
> operations.
>
> The accounting stats are stored in the BlockDriverState, but they're
> actually from the device backed by the BDS, so they could probably be
> moved there. For the interface we could extend BlockDeviceStats and
> add the new fields, but query-blockstats works on BDS, so maybe we
> need new API?

We want stats per BDS (it would be nice to know how many reads are
satisfied from the active layer, vs. how many are satisfied from the
backing image, to know how stable and useful the backing image is).  But
we also want stats per BB (how many reads did the guest attempt,
regardless of which BDS served the read).  So any good solution needs to
work from both views (whether by two API, or by one with a flag, is
bike-shedding).

> The fields are mostly self-explanatory. merged counts the number of
> requests merged into a single one (using virtio_blk_submit_multireq),
> and wr_highest_sector is the number of the highest sector that has
> been written.

It would also be nice if wr_highest_sector could be populated even for
images that have not yet been written (right now, it starts life at 0
until a write, but if we can learn the current highest sector as part of
opening an image even for just reads, that would be a bit nicer).