Re: [Qemu-block] [Patch v12 resend 00/10] Block replication for continuo

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Patch v12 resend 00/10] Block replication for continuous checkpoints
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 16:03:43 +0000

* Wen Congyang (address@hidden) wrote:
> On 12/23/2015 06:04 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 02:22:14PM +0800, Wen Congyang wrote:
> >> Stefan:Ping...
> >>
> >> What about this feature? I have worked for it about 1 year, but it is
> >> still in the
> >> way...
> >
> > The code still has TODOs.  What is the plan for supporting replication
> > after failover?  This feature seems critical because anyone who wants FT
> > won't be able to use this code unless it supports FT after the first
> > failure.
>
> We have implemented it based on an old version qemu. To keep the logical
> simple, we don't post them now. We will post them after this feature is merged
> into qemu.

It's probably best to post them, or at least say how you intend to do it,
so people can get an understanding of which way you're going.

However, why is anything new needed to continue replication after failover?
Shouldn't it be possible to build the secondary's disk structure in a way
that it can (by device/disk add/remove) into a structure that looks the same
as a primary, and then we just start a new migration to the new secondary?

(There's a separate problem of getting that to work with the rest of COLO as
well)

Dave