Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] QCOW rebases on running VMs

From: Alberto Garcia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] QCOW rebases on running VMs
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 22:16:15 +0200

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 08:25:18AM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:

> > Sadly what I need is block-stream to an intermediate layer (as I
> > want to merge in the other direction); I don't think that proposal
> > was ever implemented.
> >
> > http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots#Streaming_to_an_Intermediate_Layer_.5Bproposal.5D
>
> Alberto was working on it last; this was the most recent mail I found on
> the topic (just to the qemu-block list):
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-block/2015-12/msg00214.html
>
> so although I recall some RFC patches having been posted, you are
> right that it still needs some work to be merged in.

The intermediate block streaming code was finished and ready to be
merged about half a year ago. Unfortunately there were conflicts with
other changes that were happening at the same time so it had to be
rolled back.

Here's the latest version of the series:

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-06/msg05754.html

And here's a recent summary of the problems that prevent it from being
merged:

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-block/2015-12/msg00180.html

My plan is to continue working on it.

Berto