Re: [Qemu-block] block: Dirty bitmaps and COR in bdrv_move_feature_field

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] block: Dirty bitmaps and COR in bdrv_move_feature_fields()
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 11:43:28 +0100

qemu-block@ without qemu-devel@, intentional?

Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently trying to get rid of bdrv_move_feature_fields(), so we can
> finally have more than one BB per BDS. Generally the way to do this is
> to move features from BDS and block.c to BB and block-backend.c.
> However, for two of the features I'm not sure about this:
>
> * Copy on Read:
>
>   When Jeff introduced bdrv_append() in commit 8802d1fd, the CoR flag
>   was already moved to the new top level when taking a snapshot. Does
>   anyone remember why it works like that? It doesn't seem to make a lot
>   of sense to me.
>
>   The use case for manually enabled CoR is to avoid reading data twice
>   from a slow remote image, so we want to save it to a local overlay,
>   say an ISO image accessed via HTTP to a local qcow2 overlay.

Ignorant / forgetful question: we do that by adding a QCOW2 on top with
COR enabled, and that makes QCOW2 copy up on read?

>                                                                When
>   taking a snapshot, we end up with a backing chain like this:
>
>       http <- local.qcow2 <- snap_overlay.qcow2

Now COR is enabled where?  Just in snap_overlay.qcow2?

>   There is no point in performing copy on read from local.qcow2 into
>   snap_overlay.qcow2, we just want to keep copying data from the remote
>   source into local.qcow2.

Makes sense.

>   Possible caveat: We would be writing to a backing file, but that's
>   similar to what some block jobs do, so if we design our op blockers to
>   cover this case, it should be fine.

COR would write to backing file local.qcow2.  Doesn't change contents of
the http <- local.qcow2 substack, though.

>   I'm actually pretty sure that simply removing COR from the list, and
>   therefore changing the behaviour to not move it to the top any more,
>   is the right thing to do and could be considered a bug fix.

I'm not sure I got the relation to BBs.  Perhaps its about the rule "if
$feature sticks to the top when we put a BDS on top, it should probably
live in the BB instead."  Your point seems to be that COR shouldn't
stick to the top.  Is that roughly right?

You gave an example where COR should stay put.  Do we know of any use of
COR where sticking to the top makes sense?

In general, having the block layer move things around implicitly when
the user adds a BDS or BB is prone to create awkward questions like "is
this the right move for all possible user intents?"  I hope that the
ongoing rework will lead to less implicit magic and more explicit
control.

> * Dirty bitmaps:
>
>   We're currently trying, and if I'm not mistaken failing, to move dirty
>   bitmaps to the top. The (back then one) bitmap was first added to the
>   list in Paolo's commit a9fc4408, with the following commit message:
>
>     While these should not be in use at the time a transaction is
>     started, a command in the prepare phase of a transaction might have
>     added them, so they need to be brought over.
>
>   At that point, there was no transactionable command that did this in
>   the prepare phase. Today we have mirror and backup, but op blockers
>   should prevent them from being mixed with snapshots in a single
>   transaction, so I can't see how this change had any effect.
>
>   The reason why I think we're failing to move dirty bitmaps to the top
>   today is that we're moving the head of the list to a different object
>   without updating the prev link in the first element, so in any case
>   it's buggy today.
>
>   I really would like to keep bitmaps on the BDS where they are, but
>   unfortunately, we also have user-defined bitmaps by now, and if we
>   change whether they stick with the top level, that's a change that is
>   visible on the QMP interface.
>
>   On the other hand, the QMP interface clearly describes bitmaps as
>   belonging to a node rather than a BB (you can use node-name, even with
>   no BB attached), so moving them could be considered a bug, even if
>   it is the existing behaviour.

You just told us moving doesn't work.  Did it ever work in any release
that also provides the QMP interface in question?

If no, existing behavior doesn't matter :)

If yes, the interface might be new enough to permit incompatible design
flaw fixes.  Paolo thinks bitmaps haven't been used widely.  Discuss
with their known users?

>   I can imagine use cases for both ways, so the interface that would
>   make the most sense to me is to generally keep BDSes at their node,
>   and to provide a QMP command to move them to a different one.

Explicit control instead of implicit magic --- yes, please.

>   With compatibility in mind, this seems to be a reall tough one,
>   though.
>
> Any comments or ideas how to proceed with those two?

Hope I could help a little.