Re: [Qemu-block] block: Dirty bitmaps and COR in bdrv_move_feature_field

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] block: Dirty bitmaps and COR in bdrv_move_feature_fields()
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 08:49:57 +0100

John Snow <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03/03/2016 02:08 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> John Snow <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yet another ignorant / forgetful question: what is a (node, name) pair?
>> Since it's "given at creation time", I guess it must be something in
>> QMP.
>>

> The node=[node-name|device] and name=[bitmap-name] parameters given at
> QMP creation. You need both parameters to address the bitmap in the
> future, so I consider them an address tuple of sorts.

All right, it's (node-name, bitmap-name).

Why is bitmap-name insufficient?  It's chosen by the user, so it could
be made unique.

>>> OK, understood.
>>>
>>> (I can't help but feel like this might be the only correct way to do
>>> bitmaps, though.)
>>
>> I can't help but feel like letting device names name their roots was a
>> mistake.
>>

> Had I realized it would lead to this, I would not have gone forward with
> it. I followed the path of least resistance for how to identify the
> drive structural objects which were very much in flux at the time.
>
> And I was very new. So was BlockBackend.
>
> Problems Problems.
>
> (Hilariously, I think that using the "either drive OR node-name but not
> both" approach that everyone hated would be precisely the most
> semantically accurate right now.)

My memory might be busy falsifying itself to support the idea that I've
always been right, but to the degree it still serves: I don't remember
hating the *concept*, but I do remember hating its realization as "must
give exactly one of two arguments" constraint (ugly, not
introspectable), and doubts about its realization as single, overloaded
argument.

It's not the first time we've painted ourselves into a corner that way.
As long as we habitually cast every new interface in stone at first
release, we're setting us up for painful and expensive failure.  We need
to accept and embrace the fact that complex features take time to
analyze and implement.  Start with an experimental interface, and let
things bake properly.  Bless the interface it when the feature is ready
for use.  We'll get "it's complex" and "it's ready" wrong, too, but
hopefully less often.

>> It's simple enough if it's really just a funny way to name the root.
>>
>> But semantic creep has set in, and we're now grappling with necessity
>> (real or imagined) to move things when the root changes.  That was never
>> *my* intention.  Or if it was, I was an shortsighted fool ;)

>>> Yeah, you're right. If we specify a BB name, we should just attach it to
>>> the BB and be done with it. No tomfoolery.
>>
>> Re tomfoolery: automatically moving stuff from one BDS to another when
>> the user reconfigures the graph is a tar pit.  You need to decide what
>> the "right" move is, and that may involve guessing the user's intent.
>> There's just too much the user might want to do.
>>
>>> This does differ from our current approach, which always resolves to a
>>> node. However, I think it does not change the semantics of the interface
>>> at all -- (device, name) pairs continue to work as expected. Where we
>>> attach it internally remains a bit of an implementation detail.
>>>
>>> Block query would need to be updated to print bitmaps attached to BBs,
>>> though, but there should be no client making programmatic use of the
>>> query function just yet. (At least, libvirt doesn't.)
>>
>> Just to make sure I'm still with you: are you proposing to support
>> bitmaps attaching to both BDSes and BBs?
>>

> Well, you'd never have to move them.
>
> (Yes, that is what I am proposing.)

Got it.

> From the viewpoint of: BlockBackends and BlockDriverState objects
> provide different semantic relations to the drive as a whole. Graph-wide
> relationships belong with the BB, driver-specific or filter-specific
> relationships belong with the BDS.
>
> Arguably, we want and need bitmaps in both scenarios, no? We're fuzzing
> drive-wide semantics currently by attaching to the root node, but if
> that bit of hackery goes away, we'll have to go for the Real McCoy.

Can you give a use case for a bitmap attached to a BDS, and another one
for BB?

>> Well, you fortuitously broke bitmaps moving to the top "in time for
>> 2.5".  Nobody noticed.  I think that gives you license to break whatever
>> was broken then differently now, and then some.
>>

> Yeah, there's no clear "what to do on reconfiguration" behavior. It
> hasn't been consistent for any number of releases. (...All two!)
>
> What does work, though, is using device names as targets to attach
> bitmaps to, and I would hate to see that break if I can avoid it.

Is anybody using it in anger, yet?  If yes, can we ask for forgiveness?

I'm not saying you *should* break things.  I'm merely challenging the
"must not break anything" dogma.  Let's be pragmatic.

>>> Fair.

>> Makes sense to me.

>>> I'll have to think about that -- The way we've been thinking about it is
>>> to assume that bitmaps created with a device name always "stick to the
>>> BB," which we've fuzzily implemented as always being attached to the
>>> root node under said BB. We have not been paying close attention to what
>>> happens when you provide a node name because we do not have any use
>>> cases for that yet.
>>>
>>> If we introduce the concept that -- if the user is not vigilant -- the
>>> bitmap may accidentally wind up on some intermediary node, we'll have to
>>> re-audit our work so far. I don't think this is the right way to go.
>>
>> Well, when a user meddles with the graph, he better be vigilant.  I
>> figure the explicit graph-meddling commands will be arcane enough to
>> deter casual use.
>>

> If the user is doing explicit graph-meddling, yes. If it's implicit
> graph meddling as a result from a macro command (A job, for example) I
> think it's wrong to expect fiddling.
>
> So, for example, if we create strange intermediary nodes for the
> purposes of mirroring, backups or so on, I am fervently against
> requiring the user to manage bitmap placement explicitly in reaction to
> implementation detail. The user cannot hope to get this kind of
> configuration correct if they don't even know what's going on in the
> job's black box.

Agreed.

> However, if the user themselves is using low-level QMP primitives to
> fiddle with the graph, great. You have opened Pandora's Turing Machine
> and you are on your own. (Bitmap manipulation primitives here will of
> course be useful.)
>
>> I'm more scared of innocent-looking high-level operations that
>> reconfigure the graph under the hood.  If the user mixes them with his
>> own graph meddling, and doesn't fully understand what they do, vigilance
>> won't save him.
>>
>>> I think if we want to say something like:
>>>
>>> - If the user provides a BB name, the bitmap attaches to the *BB*,
>>> - If the user provides a node name, the bitmap attaches to the node (and
>>> will always stay on THAT node. QMP commands to move the bitmap in this
>>> scenario are appropriate. As long as the node we attach to always keeps
>>> the name it had when we attached to it, I'm happy.
>>
>> Now you confused me.  Example: user attaches bitmap to the BDS / node
>> with node name "Alice".  There's a QMP command to move the bitmap to
>> another node.  What does it move?  The bitmap?  The bitmap and the node
>> name?
>>

> User creates bitmap "foobar" on BDS "Alice". The user-visible address
> for accessing this bitmap is now and forever (Alice, foobar).

What if the BDS doesn't have a node-name?

> If the bitmap were ever to migrate to a new node, this means the
> user-visible address has been invalidated, which is a leading cause of
> sadness among digital natives.
>
> What I mean to say with the above is that as long as the bitmap stays
> attached to the node, and the node always keeps that name, I am happy.
> If, for whatever ungodly reason, we incur a graph reconfiguration where
> /names are swapped/, the bitmap needs to follow the name instead of the
> node.

Got it.

> "Can that happen?"
>
> vvvvvv
>
>>>                                                    Any action (if any
>>> exist) that would change the node name need to move the bitmap to
>>> wherever the name went
>>
>> Do we want to let users change a node's name?
>>

> **I sure as hell hope not**, I just wanted to be explicitly clear about
> what invariant I am trying to maintain here, which is bitmap addressibility.
>
> "What's broken, then?"
>
> Device names -- if the user uses a device name, it goes to the root
> node, but the address is through the BB. Graph reconfiguration may
> actually invalidate this address.
>
> "Let's just get rid of creating bitmaps against device names"
>
> This is what Kevin is proposing, if I am reading him correctly. It's a
> good idea overall, but the doubt I have is over the loss of the semantic
> pairing of a bitmap with a /drive/ versus pairing with a node.

If there is a use case where the bitmap should stay at the top (whatever
"top" may be), the natural way to support it would be attaching it to
the BB (which also disambiguates "top").

If we attach bitmaps to BBs, then interpreting BB names
(a.k.a. "device") as BB names makes sense.

Else, interpreting BB names as sugar for the current root BDS
(a.k.a. "node") might be convenient.  Especially when the node doesn't
have a name.  It might also be confusing, because unlike a node name,
which always names the same BDS, the device name may name different
BDSes over time.

I've grown wary of prematurely added convenience features.  Too often,
they become inconvenience misfeatures as our understanding of the
problem deepens.

> Casual use does not care about which actual node in the storage graph is
> performing the IO, we care about the abstract concept of the drive.
>
> All of the existing documentation uses drive names to reference the
> creation and management of bitmaps, and the only supported interface for
> consuming the bitmaps is /drive-backup/, which again only takes
> backends. blockdev-backup does not currently support naming a bitmap or
> the incremental backup mode.
>
> So it would be odd to tilt the only add mechanism in favor of the node,
> when the only usage mechanism uses devices exclusively.

We're talking about existing interfaces.  We should be talking about use
cases.

> This is why I wonder if we can't attach bitmaps to both BlockBackends
> *and* BDS nodes, based on what the user provides in the
> block-dirty-bitmap-add command.

Forget about the existing interfaces.  Analyze the problem, explore the
solution space, and only then figure out what to do for backwards
compatibility.  Anything else hobbles your mind.

>>>                        -- or just refuse to work on nodes with bitmaps
>>> until the user moves them first. either way.)
>>>
>>> that's sufficient to make me happy.
>>>
>>> The question is the suitability of the current command.
>>
>> Ignorant me again: what's the current command?
>>

> void qmp_block_dirty_bitmap_add
> (const char *node, const char *name,
> bool has_granularity, uint32_t granularity, Error **errp)
>
> If you use a device name, it resolves to the root node, or you can
> specify an actual node name.

Parameter name "node" strongly suggests that the bitmap is attached to
the (fixed) node, not to the (variable) root node of the device.

Its documentation is unhelpful, though: @node: name of device/node which
the bitmap is tracking.

>>> Is there a concrete argument against making bitmap-add work in this way?
>>> Do we *need* a new command, one for BBs and one for BDSs? We already
>>> overloaded the existing command to work with either -- what's the
>>> benefit to splitting it out now?
>>>
>>> --js
>
> I am hereby proposing as the entirety of my grand vision:
>
> 1) Allow bitmaps to attach to BB or BDS
> 2) Modify block-dirty-bitmap-add to attach to either BB or BDS based on
> the name given without modifying the QMP API

Semantic change.  Always awkward, but since it's been broken for a
release without anybody noticing...

> 3) Remove all bitmap migration code from reconfiguration paths. Do not
> look back.
> 4) Sleep soundly.
>
> I think this differs from Kevin's plan only in my desire to just re-use
> the existing API as dual-purpose for both node-and-device semantics.
>
> I would also really be OK with replacing the "node=" parameter with a
> "device or node-name but not both" flavor if some API breakage is
> desired, but I think having two entirely separate commands might be a
> bit much.

We need to make up our minds: do we want to continue conflating BB and
BDS in the external interface, or do we want to separate them?  This
goes beyond just bitmaps.

> Also feel that bitmap-moving commands are not important until
> blockdev-backup supports per-node incremental backups and we document
> and publish any use cases outside of our full-drives-only story that we
> currently peddle.

We shouldn't add features without an actual use.