Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/48] Block layer patches

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/48] Block layer patches
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 14:07:50 +0200

Am 30.03.2016 um 13:29 hat Peter Maydell geschrieben:
> On 30 March 2016 at 09:57, Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Am 29.03.2016 um 21:56 hat Peter Maydell geschrieben:
> >> Hi. I'm afraid this doesn't compile:
> >> [...]
> >> Looks like you've also been hit by commit da34e65cb4025, which
> >> means you now need to explicitly include qapi/error.h if you need it.
> >
> > Ok, I can (and will, unless you tell me not to) send a v2 of the pull
> > request; but generally speaking, wouldn't it make more sense and be
> > easier for everyone involved (including yourself) if such merge
> > conflicts where you know exactly what trivial fixup needs to be done
> > were handled in the merge commit?
>
> Sometimes, yes, but I often prefer not to for two reasons:
> (1) I often have a big queue of merges to process and time
> spent by me trying to by-hand fix up bad merges is time not
> spent processing somebody else's merge

Right, but so is time spent for sending an email describing the problem
and later processing a v2. In more complicated cases that certainly
still saves time for you and you should continue to do that. I was
talking only about the really obvious cases where you already tell me in
your email what the exact problem is and how I need to fix it.

> (2) I may be able to get the merge to compile but my testing
> process for the affected code is likely to be much less
> comprehensive than the submaintainer's

Okay, that's a fair point.

Kevin