Re: [Qemu-block] write_zeroes/trim on the whole disk

From: Wouter Verhelst
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] write_zeroes/trim on the whole disk
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 23:21:26 +0200

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 02:00:06PM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> My preference would be a new flag to the existing commands, with
> explicit documentation that 0 offset and 0 length must be used with that
> flag, when requesting a full-device wipe.

Alternatively, what about a flag that says "if you use this flag, the
size should be left-shifted by X bits before processing"? That allows
you to do TRIM or WRITE_ZEROES on much larger chunks, without being
limited to "whole disk" commands. We should probably make it an illegal
flag for any command that actually sends data over the wire, though.

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,