Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Assertion failure on qcow2 disk with clust

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Assertion failure on qcow2 disk with cluster_size != 64k
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:32:36 -0500

On 10/21/2016 08:14 AM, Ed Swierk wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 10/20/2016 07:24 PM, Ed Swierk wrote:
>>> Changing max_transfer in the normal write case to
>>> MIN_NON_ZERO(alignment, MAX_WRITE_ZEROES_BOUNCE_BUFFER) appears to fix
>>> the problem, but I don't pretend to understand all the subtleties
>>> here.
>>
>> That actually sounds like the right fix.  But since the bug was probably
>> caused by my code, I'll formalize it into a patch and see if I can
>> modify the testsuite to give it coverage.
>
> If alignment > MAX_WRITE_ZEROES_BOUNCE_BUFFER (however unlikely) we
> have the same problem, so maybe this would be better?

Our qcow2 support is currently limited to a maximum of 2M clusters;
while MAX_WRITE_ZEROES_BOUNCE_BUFFER is 32k * 512, or 16M.  The
maximum-size bounce buffer should not be the problem here; but for some
reason, it looks like alignment is larger than max_transfer which should
not normally be possible.  I'm still playing with what should be the
right patch, but hope to have something posted soon.