Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Non-flat command line option argument synt

From: Max Reitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Non-flat command line option argument syntax
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 21:46:12 +0100

On 04.02.2017 10:51, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> "Richard W.M. Jones" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 08:42:33PM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>>> There's also the -drive file=json:... syntax.  It's a bad fit for
>>> QemuOpts, because QemuOpts and JSON fight for the comma.  I'd show you
>>> if I could get it to work.
>>
>> I think this refers to the json: syntax for qemu URIs?
>
> The json: pseudo-protocol, i.e. "file names" starting with a "json:"
> protocol prefix.  I think we mean the same.
>
>> Anyway we're using this in virt-v2v
>> (https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/v2v/input_libvirt_xen_ssh.ml)
>>
>> It's very useful, please try not to break it!
>
> We're not going to take the json: pseudo-protocol away.  Perhaps we'll
> deprecate it at some point, but even then it'll stay for a sufficiently
> generous grace period.

It should be noted that there are no current plans to deprecate it. It
won't be superseded by command line changes, considering that it was
originally not introduced to make configuration on the command line more
beautiful but to allow e.g. backing file strings to contain more than
just a filename.

Max