Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Non-flat command line option argument synt

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Non-flat command line option argument syntax
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 08:02:23 +0100

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> On 06/02/2017 19:12, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>>> QOM now supports class properties.  We can convert the wide majority of
>>> them, including qdev's "static" properties, to class properties.
>>
>> Won't help object-add as long as dynamic properties remain.
>
> Well, only as long as dynamic properties remain necessary for classes
> that the user can create.

Correct.

>                            The main user of dynamic properties is
> children properties.

Converting dynamic properties into static ones is a good idea, because
it simplifies reasoning about properties.  I'm afraid it'll be a rather
tedious job, and only at its end we'll be able to see what dynamic
properties remain.

Making -object blind to dynamic properties is a restriction unless these
properties are of no use there.  We can't know that now.  If we get
there and know, we'll have to protect that state somehow.