Re: [Qemu-block] callout to *file in bdrv_co_get_block_status

From: Peter Lieven
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] callout to *file in bdrv_co_get_block_status
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 17:16:30 +0100

Am 17.03.2017 um 15:51 schrieb Paolo Bonzini:

> On 17/03/2017 12:24, Fam Zheng wrote:

>>> If the metadata is preallocated, cluster will (or should) show up as
>>> zero, speeding up the copy.
>> I think from qemu-img convert's perspective, it doesn't care about the *file
>> status if the metadata already speaks, because, like you said, the data
>> shows up
>> as zeroes.
> That's already the case: *file is only examined if the metadata  says
> BDRV_BLOCK_DATA=1, BDRV_BLOCK_ZERO=0.

Maybe Fam meant in qemu-img this info is not that necessary because it will
skip zeroes inside
a datablock anyway. I don't know why the lseek is soo slow, but the
optimization could be to identify
the case where this extra info of the *file containing zeroes is really useful
and then only call out for
it in those cases.

Peter