[Qemu-block] QCOW2 support for LZO compression

From: Peter Lieven
Subject: [Qemu-block] QCOW2 support for LZO compression
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:57:26 +0200

Hi,

I am currently working on optimizing speed for compressed QCOW2 images. We use
them for templates and would also like to use them

for backups, but the latter is almost infeasible because using gzip for
compression is horribly slow. I tried to experiment with different options

to deflate, but in the end I think its better to use a different compression
algorithm for cases where speed matters. As we already have probing

for it in configure and as it is widely used I would like to use LZO for that
purpose. I think it would be best to have a flag to indicate that compressed

blocks use LZO compression, but I would need a little explaination which of the
feature fields I have to use to prevent an older (incompatible) Qemu opening

LZO compressed QCOW2 images.

I also have already some numbers. I converted a fresh Debian 9 Install which
has an uncomressed QCOW2 size of 1158 MB with qemu-img to a compressed QCOW2.

With GZIP compression the result is 356MB whereas the LZO version is 452MB.
However, the current GZIP variant uses 35 seconds for this operation

where LZO only needs 4 seconds. I think is is a good trade in especially when
its optional so the user can choose.

What are your thoughts?

Peter