Re: [Qemu-block] RFC: use case for adding QMP, block jobs & multiple exp

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] RFC: use case for adding QMP, block jobs & multiple exports to qemu-nbd ?
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 19:06:42 +0100

On 02/11/2017 13:02, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> After all that long background explanation, what I'm wondering is whether
> there is any interest / desire to extend qemu-nbd to have more advanced
> featureset than simply exporting a single disk image which must be listed
> at startup time.
>
>  - Ability to start qemu-nbd up with no initial disk image connected
>  - Option to have a QMP interface to control qemu-nbd
>  - Commands to add / remove individual disk image exports
>  - Commands for doing the drive-mirror / backing file pivot
>
> It feels like this wouldn't require significant new functionality in either
> QMP or block layer. It ought to be mostly a cache of taking existing QMP
> code and wiring it up in qemu-nbd, and only exposing a whitelisted subset
> of existing QMP commands related to block backends.

I think adding a QMP interface is a good idea; if you're using Unix
sockets I don't see much benefit in using multiple disk image exports
from a single qemu-nbd instance, but maybe you aren't?

At this point it does indeed feel a lot like --machine none.  Perhaps we
should just have a new binary /usr/bin/qemu-noguest instead of
augmenting qemu-nbd.

Would you also add rerror/werror support to qemu-nbd at the same time?

Paolo