Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 14:41:33 -0300

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 06:09:56PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 06:30:38PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Right now, QEMU supports multiple machine types within
> > a given architecture. This was the case for many architectures
> > (like ARM) for a while, somewhat more recently this is the case
> > for x86 with I440FX and Q35 options.
> >
> > Unfortunately this means that it's no longer possible
> > to more or less reliably boot a VM just given a disk image,
> > even if you select the correct QEMU binary:
> > you must supply the correct machine type.
>
> You must /sometimes/ supply the correct machine type.
>
> It is quite dependent on the guest OS you have installed, and even
> just how the guest OS is configured.  In general Linux is very
> flexible and can adapt to a wide range of hardware, automatically
> detecting things as needed. It is possible for a sysadmin to build
> a Linux image in a way that would only work with I440FX, but I
> don't think it would be common to see that. Many distros build
> and distribute disk images that can work across VMWare, KVM,
> and VirtualBox which all have very quite different hardware.
> Non-x86 archs may be more fussy but I don't have personal
> experiance with them
>
> Windows is probably where things get more tricky, as it is not
> happy with disks moving between different controller types
> for example, and you might trigger license activation again.

All I'm suggesting here is just adding extra hints that OpenStack
can use.

I have very specific goal here: the goal is to make it less
painful to users when OpenStack+libvirt+QEMU switch to using a
different machine-type by default (q35), and/or when guest OSes
stop supporting pc-i440fx.  I assume this is a goal for OpenStack
as well.

We can make the solution to be more extensible and solve other
problems as well, but my original goal is the one above.

> > Some guests go even further and require specific devices to be present.
> >
> > Would it be reasonable to support storing this information in the qcow
> > image itself?  For example, I can see it following immediately the
> > backing file path within the image.
>
> The backing file string needs to go in space between the end of headers
> and start of first cluster, and the spec explicitly says nothing else
> must be stored there. Also we can already hit the length limit on the
> backing file.
>
> There would need to be an explicit header extension defined with its
> own clusters allocated instead.

This sounds correct.

> That said I'm not really convinced that using the qcow2 headers is
> a good plan. We have many disk image formats in common use, qcow2
> is just one. Even if the user provides the image in qcow2 format,
> that doesn't mean that mgmt apps actually store the qcow2 file.

Why this OpenStack implementation detail matters?  Once the hints
are included in the input, it's up to OpenStack to choose how to
deal with it.

> For example in some deployments OpenStack will immediately
> convert the image to raw for storage in an RBD volume as it is
> uploaded to Glance. So the glance image store would need to
> have a way to extract & save the info at time of upload. OpenStack
> targets multiple hypervisors though, so I'm not sure they would
> welcome something that is specific to just qcow2 in this area.

I don't get the "something that is specific to just qcow2" part.
Adding extra info to qcow2 doesn't prevent other file formats
from carrying the same information as well.

> The closest to a cross-hypervisor standard is OVF which can store
> metadata about required hardware for a VM. I'm pretty sure it does
> not have the concept of machine types, but maybe it has a way for
> people to define metadata extensions. Since it is just XML at the
> end of the day, even if there was nothing official in OVF, it would
> be possible to just define a custom XML namespace and declare a
> schema for that to follow.

There's nothing preventing OVF from supporting the same kind of
hints.

I just don't think we should require people to migrate to OVF if
all they need is to tell OpenStack what's the recommended
machine-type for a guest image.

Requiring a different image format seems very likely to not
fulfill the goal I stated above: it will require using different
tools to create the guest images, and we can't force everybody
publishing guest images to stop using qcow2.

> > As Eduardo pointed out off-list, the format could be a set of key-value
> > pairs. Initially qemu-img could gain ability to retrieve and manipulate
> > these. Down the road we could teach qemu to use them automatically.
> > We could also thinkably warn the user, or drop the image from the boot
> > order.
> >
> > Reasonable (IMO) things we could store in such a section:
> > - qemu architecture to use with the image
> > - machine type
>
> A concern is about what you actually put here. We could easily create a
> situation where we make images /less/ portable. eg take a Linux image
> which is capable of running on both i440fx and q35, if that was built
> on i44fx and that gets recorded, a mgmt app which honours this info
> is needless restricting how the image can be run.

That's why it should be just a hint, not a requirement.

> Or consider that LTS distros typically create custom machine types,
> so you can have a image with machine type  pc-rhel-7.4.0 which is
> now unable to be used on an Ubuntu distro which lacks the RHEL
> machine types.

That's why recording the machine-type family is more useful than
recording the full versioned machine-type name.

> IOW, there's a distinction between what's recommended, vs what's
> required, vs what's forbidden. Whitelisting valid machine types
> is too restrictive, but blacklisting is not broad enough.
>
> > more possibilities:
> > - required cpu flags
>
> Again this is not so black & white - there's a distinction between
> what is absolutely required vs what is merely recommended
>
> > - expected frontend devices
> > - kernel flags for device tree based guests
> >
> > Security considerations
> > - If there is a machine type specific security issue,
> >   this makes it easier to trick user to hitting it.
> >   Not sure how common this is.
>
> This would imply setting very specific versioned machine type
> choice, but that kills any kind of platform portability.

True.

> > - We most likely shouldn't get backend parameters from the image
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I tend to think we'd be better looking at what we can do in the context
> of an existing standard like OVF rather than inventing something that
> only works with qcow2. I think it would need to be more expressive than
> just a single list of key,value pairs for each item.

Why you claim we are inventing something that only works with
qcow2?

About being more expressive than just a single list of key,value
pairs, I don't see any evidence of that being necessary for the
problems we're trying to address.

--
Eduardo