qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Alpha update

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Alpha update
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 15:10:23 +0200

Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this patch does gp and __op_param handling correctly, following a
> suggestion from Richard Henderson. Also adds support for PC-relative
> jumps. I believe the translation engine itself is now complete. And I
> added an Alpha disassembler lifted from binutils.
>
> However, there are still problems with the ELF loader. It seems like
> some binaries want a mmaping at an offset that is not divisible by the
> page size:
>
> ./qemu -d /usr/local/qemu-i386/bin/ls-i386
> [...]
> mmap4k(start = 0x8052000, length = 592, prot = 0x3 (rw),
>        flags = 0x2102 (MAP_FIXED | MAP_PRIVATE | MAP_DENYWRITE),
>        fd = 4, offset = 39040)
>
> 39040 % 4096 == 2176
>
> Alpha Linux 2.5.69 doesn't seem to handle unaligned offsets. Do other
> architecures? Or earlier versions? The em86 code doesn't seem to care
> about this at all. The only thing to handle this I can think of is to
> mmap anonymously and use read() to fill in the data... or am I missing
> something?

Hi,

I commited your latest patches for Alpha.

For the mmap problem, I will integrate something like mmap4k, but I need
to make some patches in it so that the 'pagemap' stuff can be used in
the CPU emulator to handle self-modifying code and explicit translation
cache invalidation.

BTW, it was mentionned that variable host page size support was
necessary. Would a configure time probe be OK or should it be
dynamically probed ?

Fabrice.