qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu softmmu_template.h softmmu_header.h

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu softmmu_template.h softmmu_header.h
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 20:40:28 +0200

Johan Rydberg wrote:
Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden> wrote:

: Log message:
:       Software MMU support (used for memory mapped devices such as VGA)

Have you done any benchmarking using these changes?  Are there any improvement
over my software TLB scheme?

It is the same system as you proposed. I have a slightly faster assembly version, but I won't use it until QEMU is more stable. There will be two modes:

1) No soft MMU, except if Memory I/O is detected for a given translation block (for example for VGA accesses in text or planar modes).

2) Soft MMU for everything in order to launch any OS.

I still don't know if there will be a single executable for mode 1 and 2.

Currently I do my testings only with mode 2. Now that it begins to be usable (I can use keyboard, mouse and VGA on some DOS programs) I will commit all the necessary stuff.

A question to everyone : is it necessary to keep the specific Linux booting system now that QEMU can boot by using the BIOS ? It can give problems as the VGA is not initialized before Linux is launched if no BIOS is used.

Fabrice.