qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Roadmap for adding non-x86 system mode emulation suppor

From: Leigh Dyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Roadmap for adding non-x86 system mode emulation support?
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:53:22 +1100

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 12:26, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Chad Page wrote:

> With the latest commits I was able to launch an x86 Linux kernel on a
> PowerPC Linux box :-)
>
> I am interested to know if the VGA emulation works too as I don't have
> X11 access to a PowerPC system. Using the image 'linux.img' available on
> the web site would be a good test.

I just compiled current CVS on my Debian Unstable PowerPC machine
(changing "regs" to "gregs" in cpu-exec.c). VGA text modes are very
badly corrupted - no actual text ever appears, only character-sized
blocks of colour. In some cases (such as the lilo menu screen) it seems
to get the background colours right at least, but the POST screen has
blocks of colour in various places that don't seem to represent anything
at all.

Graphical VGA modes seem to be a bit more successful. The linux.img
image didn't want to boot, but my Debian Woody image, with a 2.4.18
kernel using vga16fb, did - the palette looks a bit wrong (the text is
all yellow, for instance), but apart from that it looks fine.

If you'd like screenshots of any of this, please let me know and I'll
see what I can do.

Thanks
Leigh