qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SB16 support

From: malc
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SB16 support
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 02:11:04 +0300 (MSK)

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> Thank you for the patch ! This is quite impressive.
>
> I cannot include as is as it needs some modifications to be more
> integrated in QEMU. I would have the following needs:
Never thought it would be, since its couple of hours hack.

> 1) Use SDL for audio rendering.
I steered away from using SDL for audio in Minde(and by extension in sb16
emu). SDL uses callback mechanism for audio mixing. At least under *NIXes
the callback is called either by a thread (do you really want that in
QEMU?) or alarm handler (good bye straight forward host_alarm_handler
welcome headache)

Current `aud.c' requires and expects so little from audio system that it
begs the question: what is simpler to retarget it for a bunch of OS/HW
specific audio systems or maintain SDL abstraction (which btw does not
even provide a way for querying current playing position)

> 2) The whole patch should add only two files: dma.c for DMA emulation,
> sb16.c for sb16 emulation and sdlaudio.c for SDL audio driver.

I can try to pull this trick, but again, SDL audio decision needs to be
weighted in. Please e-mail me directly if you have some insights on how
to organize those files.

To all:
http://www.boblycat.org/~malc/code/patches/qemu

Now hosts sb16 and interpreter patches.
Interpreter patch was updated to fix some building issues.

Sincerely,
malc

--
mailto:address@hidden