qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU 5.0 questions ...

From: Herbert Poetzl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 5.0 questions ...
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 03:30:56 +0100

Hi Fabrice!

finally found some time to look at the QEMU 5.0
release, I'm eager to test the gdb stuff ;)

first, the build went without any issues, not even
Makefiles to patch to keep the docu from building ;)

as I tested the cvs versions recently, I knew that
vl has changed to qemu(-fast) and that there is an
option to disable the graphical part ...

last time I checked this, it worked for me, so
qemu -nographic was equivalent to vl ...

now it seems that the 5.0 release qemu, requires
the bios regardless of the -nographic option, which
would not be the problem, but, it seems that the
old 'terminal' functionality was lost somewhere on
the road ...

qemu-0.4.3/vl -m 128 -snapshot -hda IMGs/TEST_32M.img bzImage rw root=/dev/hda1
works in the terminal as expected ...

qemu-0.5.0/i386/qemu-fast -nographic -m 128 -snapshot -hda IMGs/TEST_32M.img
bzImage rw root=/dev/hda1
complains about the bios, I didn't install ...

qemu-0.5.0/i386/qemu-fast -nographic -L qemu-0.5.0/pc-bios -m 128 -snapshot
-hda IMGs/TEST_32M.img bzImage rw root=/dev/hda1
doesn't complain, but gives me just one black line
after the other .. it's obvious that something is
happening, but the kernel boot output doesn't show
up on the terminal ...

any suggestions/magic switches to get back the
'old' terminal booting behaviour?

TIA,
Herbert