qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix boot attempt fails - "BIOS panic in rombios.c,

From: Leigh Dyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix boot attempt fails - "BIOS panic in rombios.c, line 1558"
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:57:34 +1100

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 12:39, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Leigh Dyer wrote:
> > I also tried a self-built OpenBSD 3.4 CD, though it complains relatively
> > early in the boot process that it can't find /dev/console.
>
> Do you try qemu-fast or qemu ? Can you record a log of the boot process
>   (at least a screen shot) ?

This was using qemu - I took a couple of screenshots, which show the two
pages of output that I got when booting the OpenBSD CD:

http://gir.eclinic.com.au/~lsd/qemu/obsd/obsd-boot-1.png
http://gir.eclinic.com.au/~lsd/qemu/obsd/obsd-boot-2.png

I have to say that I haven't actually tested my OpenBSD ISO on a real
machine, and it does fail to boot properly on bochs as well (though much
later in the boot sequence). It does work on Virtual PC on my Powerbook
though, so I _think_ it's okay.

>  > I've got a
>  > few versions of Windows kicking around too - I'll give them a shot
>  > shortly.
>
> I have almost finished the task switch emulation (this is the last
> painful x86 emulation code). Once it is commited, Windows support will
> become possible.

That's great to hear :) Just for a laugh, I tried booting a Windows 98
CD, which effectively means booting MS-DOS, and after the initial boot
menu screens (selecing whether to boot from hdd or CD, and what mode to
boot the CD in) I got a lot of:

qemu: unsupported keyboard cmd=0xff

messages in my terminal, and then qemu segfaulted.

Thanks
Leigh