qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault with 0.50 and 0.51 and fedora core ls

From: Michael Torrie
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault with 0.50 and 0.51 and fedora core ls
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:52:08 -0700

I'm still having many problems using qemu to run all but the most basic
static-ish x86 executables on my yellowdog ppc box.  qemu just dies with
a segmentation fault.  I can run xterm, xeyes, ddd, and adobe acrobat
reader, all from my x86 fedora core box (copying over the appropriate
libraries for glibc, x11, etc).  However, most other exes, even a simple
exe like ls, fail with the segmentation fault.  Since no one else is
reporting this problem on the list, I think that perhaps it is an
interaction between qemu and the ntpl-threaded glibc 2.3.3 that fedora
core ships with.

To replicate the problem, copy over ls and any dependent libraries to
the yellowdog 3.0.1 box.  run ls with qemu 0.51.  qemu will quit with a
segmentation fault.  Doing some simple debugging indicates that there is
a null pointer that is dereferenced somewhere in the synthetic cpu
code.  See my other posts from last month for the exact place in the
code; I don't have the capabilities to debug qemu until I return from
vacation.