qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu on 2.6.0-rc1

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu on 2.6.0-rc1
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:01:48 +0100

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 23:31, Rutger Nijlunsing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to run qemu-fast on Linux kernel 2.6.0-rc1. I could not find the
> things which I should change in the documentation:
> After recompiling the kernel, both qemu-fast and qemu refuses to boot
> this kernel:
>
> qemu -nographic -hda linux.img -kernel ../linux-qemu/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
> -append "root=/dev/hda ide2=noprobe ide3=noprobe ide4=noprobe ide5=noprobe"
>
> ...boots not bzImage, but the kernel which resides in the image file
> linux.img.

The fact is qemu -kernel relies on the fact that the kernel has a
integrated bootloader at the start of the bzImage. This has been
suppressed in 2.6 kernels, so you should install your kernel inside a
loop device install a MBR at the start of this device. You can use lilo
to do this.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized