qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] VESA VBE support in qemu?

From: Josh Metzler
Subject: [Qemu-devel] VESA VBE support in qemu?
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:15:14 -0500

I have a hard disk image with Debian Sid installed, along with XFree86 4.3 and
KDE 3.2 beta1.  I was using this in Bochs to try out the KDE beta, and was
hoping that I could do the same under Qemu, as it is much faster than Bochs.
I am able to boot the harddisk image, but XFree86 fails to start up.  The log
ends with:

(II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
(II) Primary Device is: ISA
(--) Chipset vesa found
(II) resource ranges ...
(II) Loading sub module "vbe"
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) VESA(0): initializing int10
(WW) VESA(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
(II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs
(II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS not detected
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I had no problems configuring, making, or installing qemu.  The vgabios is in
the correct place.  Does anyone have any ideas for getting XFree86 up and
running?

Thanks,
Josh