qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VESA VBE support in qemu?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VESA VBE support in qemu?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:06:27 +0100

malc wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Josh Metzler wrote:

I have a hard disk image with Debian Sid installed, along with XFree86 4.3 and
KDE 3.2 beta1.  I was using this in Bochs to try out the KDE beta, and was
hoping that I could do the same under Qemu, as it is much faster than Bochs.
I am able to boot the harddisk image, but XFree86 fails to start up.  The log
ends with:

<snip.

I had no problems configuring, making, or installing qemu.  The vgabios is in
the correct place.  Does anyone have any ideas for getting XFree86 up and
running?

VGABios and Bochs communicate via some predefined I/O Ports to provide
VBE 1.2(or rather subset of). QEMU does not have this functionality(yet?).
So for the time being, you can not run XFree with vesa driver.

I would prefer adding S3 VGA support, but it is more complicated as it requires PCI to be recognized correctly by most OSes.

Bochs VBE is a lot simpler to add. I'll look at it for 0.5.3 release.

Fabrice.