qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Keyboard scancodes

From: Brion Vibber
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Keyboard scancodes
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:50:21 -0800

I've been toying with QEMU for a few days and am quite impressed! The keyboard in system emulation goes horribly wrong when not used on a PC, though. Displaying a remote QEMU on my Mac, I can't type anything but garbage; X11 apparently sends the real scancodes and they don't match up at all.

Attached is a patch that translates SDL keysyms into PC scancodes; it seems to mostly work, though I haven't tested every conceivable key combination. A downside of this is that it hardcodes a US keyboard layout on the emulated PC; proper end-to-end translation would be harder.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)