qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Code Copy / New Linux boot code

From: Michael Torrie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Code Copy / New Linux boot code
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:02:14 -0700

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 05:33, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> > Seems like the best approach would be to write a special graphics driver
> > for MS Windows that would translate gdi calls into X calls, allowing
> > Windows windows to be displayed on the X desktop, with the Windows
> > desktop hidden.  Eventually things like the system tray could be thunked
> > to display icons in the Gnome/KDE tray area.  All in all, I think such a
> > thing would be incredibly useful.
>
> Well, this already exists : it's called Wine :-)

No, Wine is an attempt to implement the Windows API on linux.  What I've
described has nothing to do with that.  Instead, you run Windows XP (the
real version) inside of the qemu virtual  machine.  Then the special
graphics driver pushes each window out to X11 (probably using the
network, since that would require no changes to qemu).  Then if you hide
the main qemu window, you have a full, rootless Windows XP system
running on top of your linux machine.  Since it's the real deal, there
are no compatibility problems like you have with wine.  In many places,
this type of functionality would be very much appreciated and used as
people transition to Linux.

Michael

--
Michael Torrie <address@hidden>