qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Code Copy / New Linux boot code

From: Michael Torrie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Code Copy / New Linux boot code
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:26:12 -0700

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 11:10, Rutger Nijlunsing wrote:
> > No, Wine is an attempt to implement the Windows API on linux.  What I've
> > described has nothing to do with that.  Instead, you run Windows XP (the
> > real version) inside of the qemu virtual  machine.  Then the special
> > graphics driver pushes each window out to X11 (probably using the
> > network, since that would require no changes to qemu).
>
> Either you emulate Windows and have windows, or you don't emulate
> Windows (which you suggest), and then you don't have windows to push
> to X11. You can't have it both.

You also misunderstand me.  Maybe I misunderstood what the parent poster
was talking about.

> The hardware you want to emulate does not know the concept of 'a
> window', and can -therefore- not emulate it.

Precisely.  We're not talking about emulation at all here.  In fact,
what I was proposing is really outside the scope of qemu entirely, and
could be implemented with a real windows box running on some remote
machine.  All I was saying is that should such a driver system exist,
then combining that with qemu and a real copy of Windows XP would allow
a nice "rootless" environment where your real windows xp windows (MS
Word, etc) could appear on your X11 desktop.  I've been after Win4Lin
(www.netraverse.com) to implement something like this for years, but
they also seem to be mystified as to what I'm talking about.  If I had
the knowledge I needed to do this, I'd implement a prototype to show
everyone just how cool it could be (MS Word in an X11 window on
Linux/PPC, for example, running via emu and windows xp).  I guess
another way to think of it would be vnc displaying just arbitrary
windows from a remote server rather than the full desktop.  Again, this
has nothing to do with qemu at all, but rather qemu would is a nice
vehicle to make this type of thing possible.

Michael.
--
Michael Torrie <address@hidden>