qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC emulation on Qemu

From: J. Fortmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC emulation on Qemu
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:35:46 +0100 (MET)

> > > Yes I know it can run Linux, but what I wanted to point is that (if
I'm
> > > not wrong) it's not able to run any OS (ie AIX or pegasos or, why not
> > > (?), BeOS or AmigaOS) like a real machine would.
> >
> > It could. All depends on which HW you emulate.
>
> Yes, I'd like qemu to be able to emulate the largest combination of
> hw... I don't really know if I will ever try to emulate Amiga, but as
> the main use of PPC is embedded hardwares, it sounds good to have an
> easily "hw" tunable emulator...

Regarding emulation of all PPC systems:
Would it be possible to switch the system to little endian mode inside the
qemu process? That way, one could run Windows NT, which I always wanted
to try (but couldn't, because I don't have the necessary hardware).

This could also (with a slightly different approach) bring better speeds for
i386 computations.

> I just rsync'ed the latest mol, and it appears to me that openbios isn't
> inside. It seems that it's only available through proprietary bk
> software...
> Is there a way to get it using a standard open mechanism (ie rsync or
> CVS ?). It would be glad, as I cannot and never want to use any
> proprietary software on my linux boxes...

I had to bite the bullet a month ago and install Bitkeeper (precisely for
MOL),
and I can't say I like it. It's really sad that there seems no other way to
get
up-to-date MOL sources.

J. Fortmann
Lurker