qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] windows?

From: Mark IJbema
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] windows?
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:09:41 +0100

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 03:44:36PM -0800, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 15:26, Mark IJbema wrote:
> > Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there some architectural reason
> > qemu won't run on windows, or is it just not implemented?
>
> It would be a neat trick... maybe build with Mingw32
>
> One application would be that if QEMU ran on Win32 you could put
> QEMU.EXE on a Knoppix CD, and run Knoppix without the BIOS fiddling or
> rebooting that might otherwise be required. CoLinux project has this
> goal in mind too but I'm not sure how far along they are.
>
> If someone wants help with such a scheme I have some spare cycles (and I
> don't mind the taint of working on Windows as necessary)

Well, the application i had in mind was using it for reactos, in the
same way bochs is used now. Because on linux, qemu runs much faster than
bochs, and when it's bugfree (or at least not notably bugged), it would
be a viable alternative to vmware (even though it's still a lot slower
than vmware).

Mark