qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Darwin/Mac OS X Port

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Darwin/Mac OS X Port
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:51:56 +0100

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 05:14, Satadru Pramanik wrote:
> As a non-developer,  I have no rights to argue what is and is not
> useful, and I do love the direction that qemu is headed.
>
> However, in perhaps a small part a rebuttal of these previous comments,
> I WOULD like to see qemu on darwin have the ability to run linux/ppc
> programs.  (in user mode as well).
>
> I think for one it would greatly increase the usability of linuxppc
> programs for mac users, if linuxppc programs could be distributed with
> a small qemu wrapper for use on OS X systems.

The problem is not it's not useful. I'd like to run Linux programs on
MacOS and MacOS X programs on LinuxPPC. What is missing is a complete
Linux syscall emulation on MacOS. But, as there is a Linux syscall API
in FreeBSD, the thing to do, I think, is to make it work as a Darwin
kernel extension, then run LinuxPPC qemu natively.
This may not be trivial: Apple anounced they'll do it for Panther and
they seem to have renounced.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized