qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Win 98 install error & work around

From: rutger
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Win 98 install error & work around
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:39:41 +0100

I can get my Win98 installation to complete, but it gives strange
error during hardware detection (probably a known error, I do not
know):

'Detection returned the following error: Detection Manager failed to
allocate memory for internal use.'

This isn't really a problem, but it also fails to detect the
CD-ROM. And the CD contains the drivers, so windows has a problem
installing the network subsystem (dhcp.dll, icmp.dll etc.), and so
hangs during booting. The next boot gives you safe mode, but no acces
to the CD with the drivers. Go to the control panel, and remove the
dial-up network adapter. Now you can boot Win98, but you still do now
have a CD-ROM driver loaded.

Now the strange part: doing start -> shut down -> restart in MS-DOS ->
exit from MS-DOS gives you the CD back! I do not know why, but that's
just the thing I was looking for for a long time...

--
Rutger Nijlunsing ---------------------------- rutger ed tux tmfweb nl
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence