qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MacOsX 10.2 guest under a GNU/Linux host

From: Jocelyn Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MacOsX 10.2 guest under a GNU/Linux host
Date: 17 Mar 2004 14:31:44 +0100

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 12:52, Derrik Pates wrote:
> Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > I would like to install a MacOs X 10.2 guest under a GNU/Linux host.
> > Any sucess so far. How to proceed?

I tried OpenDarwin 1.4.1, 6.2 & 7.1 & GNUDarwin (version ?) for x86.
All load the kernel, start and seem to hang.
I can see the white screen with the Apple for all versions but 1.4.1,
then nothing more happens...

> Well, to my knowledge, qemu doesn't yet have that ability. It doesn't
> currently (that I know of) have full-machine emulation capability for
> PowerPC, not to mention a compabile OpenFirmware implementation (and
> compatible OF drivers). I don't know if or when Fabrice intends to do
> something like that with qemu, and I don't believe the SheepShaver port
> is anywhere near far enough along (currently only OldWorld compatible,
> requires a ROM image, and last time I tried to build it, still slightly
> broken). If you have a PowerPC system, you can run MacOS X inside the
> Mac-on-Linux virtualization environment, which I've done on multiple
> occasions on my PowerBook Pismo, but that's about it. Also, Apple's
> licenses are written such that running their OS on non-Apple hardware is
> a direct license violation. Just FYI.

I work on PPC system emulation but I'm still far from running MacOS X
under qemu. The main reasons are:
- bugs in PPC emulation
- Lack of Open-Firmware: it did some tests with a quick hacked OF
emulation, but the good way is to wait for OpenBIOS to be available for
MacOnLinux (I did asked to have access to their sources, but for now
never got any answer, even to say "no !"). I may try to use the OF from
my Ibook to make tests, but this cannot be a solution for Qemu releases.
- Lack of hardware emulation: Mac is *NOT* great: the hardware
specifications change almost every day :-). For now, my goal is to
emulate the 3 PPC standards: PREP, CHRP and OpenPPC. Some Macs are quite
CHRP machines, newer ones seems more like OpenPPC ones.
For now, I use PREP, because my first goal is to eliminate PPC CPU
emulation bugs. As PREP is nearly a PC with a PPC CPU, I can re-use
current Qemu hardware emulation, which make things simpler...
The only thing I got for recent Mac emulation is OpenPIC (good start).

I don't intend to emulate oldworld Macs for now.
I'd better have a recent one working, because the hardware is more
standard and documented.

Current PPC system emulation status is:
I can launch Linux and a shell in it and use it. That's all.

All this need to be merged with latest Fabrice's commits before I can
send patches...

--
Jocelyn Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized