qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GDB help

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GDB help
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:25:53 +0100

Use the executable in qemu/i386-softmmu. The symbols are stripped from the installed version. But be warned, debugging QEMU with gdb is not easy, especially if the errors are in the dynamically generated code.

Fabrice.

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
Dear friends,

I am trying to run the following GDB session over a Windows XP pro installation disc:

address@hidden:/home/jmpoure/projets/qemu/winxp# gdb qemu
GNU gdb 6.0
This GDB was configured as "i386-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) set args -cdrom winxp.iso -hda hd.img -boot d
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/qemu -cdrom winxp.iso -hda hd.img -boot d
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[New Thread 1077037664 (LWP 3946)] (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...Connected to host network interface: tun0
Detaching after fork from child process 3956.
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...Serial port redirected to /dev/pts/32
QEMU 0.5.2 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) q

qemu was compiled from CVS. Any idea how I can get these debugging symbols?
Then, how do I display a trace when the process detaches? Can you make a detailed description for newbees? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel