qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] x86-64 port

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] x86-64 port
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:06:46 +0100

Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
Hi,

Nick Snellock wrote:

Is anyone working on an x86-64 port?

Not me :-) An x86-64 host port would be very interesting because the 64 bit host MMU could be used to remap the whole emulated 4GB address space.

Fabrice, remember that I posted AMD64 support bits to the list some time ago? ;-) This works for user mode applications. As for the soft mmu, the current code is not 64-bit clean. I had some patches but they were not enough and are in a dormant state since. So remapping the whole 4GB address space is probably a faster and simpler fix indeed.

Sorry - I should have merged it before ! If you can generate a new patch against the current CVS I'll merge it (if you don't have time I can begin to look at it - I am looking now at the version you posted). If the user mode is working, most of the work is done.

I think that there is also a lot of potential for a "code-copy" mode converting x86-32 to x86-64 code (look at what I did for . Along with the 4GB space remapping, it would give close to native performances without requiring any potentially unsafe kernel module (unlike the popular virtualizers).

The popular virtualizers don't officially support AMD64 host systems yet. Vmware 4.5 is expected to do so though.

OK. So this is even better for QEMU :-)

Fabrice.