qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu and OS/2

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu and OS/2
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 01:54:15 +0100

Greg Alexander wrote:

Fabrice Bellard wrote:

Hi,

Can you try the CVS ? I made a specific VGA fix for the OS/2 install (you can see the OS/2 & IBM logo), but there are still problems after.

If OS/2 does not rely on segment limit checks or weird FPU exceptions, then there is a chance that QEMU can launch it soon.

If I remember correctly, at least the early versions of OS/2 DID rely on segment limit checks. This allowed it to do multitaking on 286 processors, and a lot of that mechanism was still used in the 386 code.

It is possible and easy to add full segment limit and right checks in QEMU with a runtime selectable option. It would impact mostly 16 bit code and the slowdown would be small: because QEMU is a dynamic translator, some tests can be done at translation time.

Unfortunately it is not yet on the top on my TODO list :-(

Fabrice.