qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Installation status

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Installation status
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:09:28 +0100

Dear all,

I am testing both Debian SID and today CVS versions.
Here is my installation status:

1) Success
- Morphix 0.4.1: works
- Knoppix 3.3: works
- Fedora RC-1: works

2) Failures
I only report installation from from iso image.

a) Windows XP pro
+ cvs version displays a black screen right after cd-rom boot.
+ Debian SID version is able to boot the installer and format a virtual disc.
Then, it displays "disc error" after verification and proposes to format
again. Close to success.

b) Windows 2K pro
+ cvs version displays a black screen right after cd-rom boot.
+ Debian SID version is able to boot the installer and then displays a blue
screen during initial driver loading.

c) RedHat 9, Mandrake 10
+ cvs and Debian SID versions are able to boot the installer, but the CD-ROM.
driver is not recognised. Strange to see such a message as I was booting from
CD-ROM. The installer ends up looping on this error message 'Impossible to
load CD-ROM" but does not crash.

d) Mandrake Move (=bootable CD-ROM)
+ cvs and Debian SID crash right at beginning.

e) FreeDOS beta 9
+ cvs version is able to boot from CD-ROM.
Fdisk displays wrong disc size. Installation freezes.

I suspect a disc emulation problem (geometry?). If we could solve RedHat and
Mandrake issues, maybe it would help for Windows future installations as
well.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Jean-Michel