qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu fails to run Acad

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu fails to run Acad
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:02:41 +0100

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 19:33, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Thursday 18 March 2004 15:50, Gaël Varoquaux a écrit :
> > Anyway, if it can help inproving qemu, there is a disk image with dos
> > and acad at http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/varoquau/diskim.gz .
>
> Dear Gaël Varoquaux,
>
> To my knowledge, MS Dos 6.2.2 costs approximatively  $19 per license.

Some older versions are freely available, AFAIK.
But I don't know if you can run autocad with those ones.

> If you do not remove this link immediately, you will be liable for direct and
> indect losses of releasing an MS software freely over the net.
>
> Please understand that the developers and users from Qemu cannot be accused
> of
> being pirates. We respect copyright and authors like all free software
> authors and developers.

That's right.

> If the link is not removed by tomorrow morning Friday 19 March 8:00 (French
> time), I will send a letter (A/R) to your school in France (with copy to
> Microsoft France and Autodesk) and then hand off this question to my lawyer.
>
> What do other people on the list think about this issue?

I don't think you have any authority to say or do sthg like this. You
can ask for the message to be deleted from the lis but what, who gives
you a mandat to denonciate this this way ?
I don't say that it was a good idea to make this disk image available,
but the goal has never be, IMHO, to steal anything. It's a mistake, so
you're right to say it, to claim that this kind of thing shouldn't
happen, and to give advices to solve the problem.
And what the hell is a school concerned with this ? Really a stupid
idea...
Sorry for you it's what you want to be, but you aren't representing any
authority here, so keep calm, do what you have to do and please don't
try to play cops and thieves game here.

I won't debate more, just wanted to give my opinion, as you asked for...

Regards.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized