qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu and already installed OS

From: vaise
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu and already installed OS
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:10:14 +0000

On Saturday 20 March 2004 10:09, address@hidden wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2004 13:12, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> > > dd if=/dev/hda of=/home/me/disk.img bs=1024 count=1600000
> >
> > drop that count parameter.
>
> It means I will save my whole (and only) hard disk ? ?

Thomas, you were right !
In order to copy the partition with dd, and to manage to boot, we have to
copy :
-the boot sector (if=/dev/hda and not if=/dev/hda1)
-the target partition for qemu (of course)
-AND the linux partition where grub comes from.

I managed to store these 3 things in the begining of the hard disk, so it
takes me only 2.5Gb. correct.