qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU News: Win32 Port

From: Lennert Buytenhek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU News: Win32 Port
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 04:25:02 +0200

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 01:45:58AM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> >I commited an experimental win32 port of QEMU. I did not test it yet,
> >but it compiles. It is based on Kazu port, but I made heavy
> >modifications to minimize the number of ifdefs and to factorize the
> >"dyngen" utility code.
> >
> >In order to compile it, look at
> >http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/PortingTips-en.html.
>
> I should not have given this URL because Cygwin is _not_ needed to
> compile QEMU. Instead use the following steps (taken from the FFmpeg
> project doc):

I guess cross-compiling for Windows from a linux host isn't supported?
These are the problems I stumble over when I try to do just that:
* The SDL probe in 'configure' uses the host's CC instead of the target
  CC, causing the probe to fail.
* After hacking around that, it appears that dyngen is compiled as a .exe
  instead of a host binary, causing Wine to launch whenever dyngen is used
  in the build process.
* -lutil is used for final linking, but libutil.a is a component of glibc,
  and I didn't dare trying to build it for Windows (does that even work? :)
  It doesn't even seem to be needed -- removing the '-lutil' causes a
  qemu.exe to be built anyway.

After qemu.exe is built, it doesn't seem to work.  It does run, but simply
refuses to output anything:

F:\>qemu.exe

F:\>

cheers,