qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU >= 0.5.3 still broken?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU >= 0.5.3 still broken?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:18:49 +0200

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
Hi Fabrice!

did a checkout of qemu a few minutes ago (from CVS)
but qemu-fast and qemu (softmmu) is still broken for
me ...

any plans to fix this, anything I could do to help?

just for the case you do not remember, ide hard disk
emulation doesn't work for 2.6.x anymore (partitions
and second hard disk are not recognized)

qemu 0.5.2 work without any issues, 0.5.3 and latest
CVS fails ...

It is not an IDE problem: it is just that my new method to launch the kernel with '-kernel' in 0.5.3 does not preserve the partition table. I will try a fix (I did not see this problem because in my Linux tests I don't use hard disk partitions!).

The TSC problem you have seem to be linked to the 1000 Hz timer of the 2.6 kernel. You must change HZ to 100 in asm/param.h. I'll make a patch for that soon in QEMU, but the emulation will be less efficient for 1000 Hz clock as polling or /dev/rtc will be used on the host.

Fabrice.