qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC emulation, how?

From: Jocelyn Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC emulation, how?
Date: 13 Apr 2004 20:56:55 +0200

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 20:08, Francisco José Cañizares Santofimia wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Jocelyn said was trying to merge the sources into CVS. Today appears to be
> PPC emulation in CVS :), so, i've got a question about that.

Yes, thanks to Fabrice who did the merge.

> The functions are the same as you specified in:
>
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-04/msg00092.html
>
> That it's, we can run some linux distributions, but,
>
> waht ROM to use? Get it from a Mac (tried only oldworld macs, such as
> SheepShaver, although Jocelyn said not want to support it), or, get the
> Openfirmware (¿how?).

For now, I don't use a ROM.
I only support booting Linux PREP kernels, using -kernel option.

For help, I put some infos, kernel and boot image here:
http://jocelyn.mayer.free.fr/qemu-ppc/index.htm

I'm far to emulate a real Mac, even far to emulate a real PREP:
we even don't have any kind of PCI support, which seems mandatory for
most PPC platforms...

I don't have a real boot-loader, just a few hacks that build a minimal
environment to run Linux PREP kernel without firmware support, no RTAS,
even no residual infos.
All those stuff will come later...

For now, I still have (many ?) bugs to fix in MMU and exception handling
to have a solid core emulation, then I will focus more on hardware &
firmware. My goal is to follow current MOL approach and use OpenBIOS
so qemu won't need any non-free binaries to run.

--
Jocelyn Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized