qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: MS Windows 2000 installation report

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: MS Windows 2000 installation report
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:57:04 +0200

Le mardi 13 Avril 2004 23:25, Gabriel Ebner a écrit :
> OK, I'm going to test with 1.2G now (Jean-Michel, could you tell me how big
> your (virtual) harddisk was?).

My hard disc is of 5Mb size, created with "bximage" from the Bochs project.

"bximage" creates virtual discs much faster than the dd utility (which looses
time writing zeros to disc). If Bochs is installed, just enter "bximage" in a
shell and answer questions.

By the way, about the display issue: I just removed the display card in rescue
mode. After rebooting Windows, I could display in 800x600 VBE mode.

The only remaining visible issue, at user-level, seems to be the mouse,
which is toooo slow for using Windows in normal mode.

Some screenshots:
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/screenshots/qemu_win2k_13.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/screenshots/qemu_win2k_14.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/screenshots/qemu_win2k_15.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/screenshots/

Windows 2k seems to run pretty quickly on my Pentimum IV 1,8 Ghz.
At a first sight, I would say it performs like a Pentium III 600 Mhz.

Very usable... Qemu rocks my friends.

Cheers, Jean-Michel