qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qemu frontend proposal

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qemu frontend proposal
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:13:54 +0200

Dear all,

Fabrice expressed the need for a Qemu frontend. Before working on anything, I
would like to discuss about possible plans and receive some feedback.

My proposals are:

1) Framework : wxWidgets

wxWidgets is the new name of the wxWindows framework. The latest release
wxWidgets 2.5.1 has good Unicode compliance and offers GTK2 and Windows
bindings. The wxMac version is still hardly usable.

Also, wxWidgets offers a wxPython binding.

2) Interface builder : wxGlade

wxWidgets supports an XML format called XRC, which is called at runtime
without the need to hard-code the interface.

There are several applications for building XRC interface. wxGlade is probably
the best and very similar to Glade-2.

Under Debian, I installed wxPython 2.5.1 from the experimental repository and
ran wxGlade from CVS version without real problem.

3) Collaboration : group work inside the Qemu project

I would be in favour of working in team inside the Qemy project. My guess
would be to discuss the interface first, commit the XRC to Qemu CVS. Then, we
can start coding the underlying logic in C++ or in Python.

This way, we can share ideas and experience. Any feedback is appreciated. Do
not hesitate to answer on the list.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel