qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SDL] Problem with mouse grabbing

From: Greg Alexander
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SDL] Problem with mouse grabbing
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:45:08 -0500

QEMU Needs to grab the mouse because it emulates a real mouse, instead of using a pseudo-mouse driver.

As a result, mouse scaling will always be a problem, since all the user has to do is change the mouse scaling in the host OS to cause problems with the tracking (the scaling problem you noticed.) That's not to mention if the mouse came in somewhere different from where it left. There's nothing to cause the emulated mouse pointer to move to the position where the real one entered the QEMU window.

GREG

Jim C. Brown wrote:

Why does qemu grab the mouse? Sometimes, when it is closing, I will
forget to press Ctrl-Shift, and the mouse ends up being unusable.

This got very old in a very short amount of time, so I edited sdl.c to simply
"follow" the X mouse pointer, ala VNC-style, and it works. There is a strange
bug, but aside from that it works perfectly. I find this more convenient
for handling the mouse. My question is: why does qemu grab the mouse pointer
instead of just following it? Is this for technical reasons or just because
the VM looks nicer that way?

P.S. The strange bug is simply that the virtual mouse pointer moves a little bit
faster than the real mouse pointer. It's annoying but still usable, although
it does cause the virtual mouse pointer to show up in odd places every now and
then.