qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] win98se video driver

From: Jason Gress
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] win98se video driver
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 10:54:09 -0500

On Saturday 01 May 2004 10:24 pm, Jim C. Brown wrote:
> I got the default SVGA driver working on win98 but it only supports 16 bit
> color and 640x480 display (which makes one wonder what the point of having
> the SVGA driver would be ... at least no more annoying "change your video
> adaptor" prompts at startup). Is there a way to get better resolution?
>
> If there is no way to do it currently, which would be the easier step?
> Hacking a better video card into qemu's emulation (like I'm considering for
> touchpad support), or writing a VESA driver for win98?
>
> TIA.

Hello!  This is my first post to this dev list.  I really like the progress of
this project!  As per your question I have a related question to you; I have
installed Windows Me (yes, the evil one!) and it installed ok, but the
hardware detection wizard locks WinMe up.  Also attempting to install the
Super VGA driver like you suggested (too see if I have any better luck) and
it gives me a rundll32 error.  So my question to you is: Does the hardware
detection wizard work for you?  Does any of the hardware auto-detect (i.e.
network, sound, etc.)?  I am curious how much is similar/different between
those two OS's, and I wanted to report a semi-successfull install of
WinMe. ;)

        Jason

P.S.  This is a great project!!  I am really excited about it's future!  Also,
I am running the CVS from yesterday (via a CVS ebuild I found from
somewhere.  :)