qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CDROM /Network with Win98

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CDROM /Network with Win98
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 02:12:43 +0200

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 00:57, Jim C. Brown wrote:
 [ ... ]

> > >You can convert those 4 floppies to images, and then use the monitor
> > >prompt to swtich between the floppy images I guess. Never tried it
> > >though...
> >
> > I have been able to use an image of the first floppy to boot, but I'm at
> > loss about how to switch between images during the process. How do you do
> > that ?
>
> This only works for qemu-0.5.3 and above. In the qemu monitor window,
> type "change fda imageX" where imageX is the filename of the floppy
> you want to change to. Use "eject imageX" when you are done (I'm not
> sure if this is stricly necessary but it doesn't hurt).

eject isn't mandatory. Note that the syntax is "eject fda", not "eject
image". This is also useful for CDROMs.

> For qemu-0.5.2, you'll have to use this old trick (from bochs):
>
> You have 4 floppy images:
[...]

> type this:
>
> cp fd1 qfloppy
>
> run qemu as such:
>
> qemu -fda qfloppy [rest of qemu parameters here]
>
> when you are done with the first floppy, change via:
>
> cp fd2 qfloppy

This won't work as qemu doesn't release the first image until "eject" or
"change" command is used. So the first image will still be used after
you did overwrite it.

Regards.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>