qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about tun/tap networking

From: Carlos Valiente
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about tun/tap networking
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:27:38 +0100

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 02:35, address@hidden wrote:
> You could also muck about with proxyarp or bridging but honestly, I wouldn't
> bother
> with that. Routing is a lot easier to understand.

Bridging is not that difficult, either:

0. Get the userland bridge utils from http://bridge.sourceforge.net/ and
make sure your host Linux kernel is configured with CONFIG_BRIDGE

1. Create a bridge device (called 'br0', for instance):

# brctl addbr br0

2. Activate both TUN interfaces (but don't assign them IP addresses:
you'll do that for the bridge device instead)

# ifconfig tun0 0.0.0.0
# ifconfig tun1 0.0.0.0

3. Add both TUN interfaces to the bridge:

# brctl addif br0 tun0
# brctl addif br0 tun1

4. Set the bridge device IP address:

# ifconfig br0 172.16.1.1